Monday, May 5, 2014

Book Review: Picture Perfect by Alessandra Thomas

Picture Perfect (Picturing Perfect, #1)Picture Perfect by Alessandra Thomas

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

As someone who is a larger size, it was somewhat easy for me to identify with this book’s lead female character, Cat…though honestly the size she is really isn’t super huge. The story is, for the most part, pretty good and does keep you interested. Nate seems amazing from the start, until the big conflict with him occurs.

One of the issues I had with this story was the way that Cat kept getting down on herself and going on about her rolls and such. Hearing about it every so often during the story would have been fine, but I felt like it was way overdone which just made her sound like she was constantly being negative. The other issue I had was with the conflict that occurs with Nate. I found it to be a very odd situation, and it just seemed like an awkward issue to use as the “big conflict” of their relationship-like the author was trying to come up with a conflict and this was the best she could come up with.

The sex scenes also seemed to come up a lot-more than was really needed to tell the story. I’m all for having good steamy scenes in a romance, but there’s a point where it feels like those scenes were just being added for the sake of having more sex scenes, and not as a way to further the storyline.

There were some issues with grammar/basic editing, though they did not detract from the reading.

I wholeheartedly agree with the message the author is trying to get across regarding body image and learning to love your body, but feel that Cat’s character flaw of constantly harping on the way her body looks makes it hard to really love the overall book. I did give it a solid three stars as it is a good story, I just wish the author would have let up on Cat’s attitude a bit to make the read more enjoyable.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment